POWER-CON gladly welcomes some good volunteers to help in this year’s convention expo. If you are motivated, up-beat individual who is flexible and wants to meet a lot of new people then volunteering is right for you!
Volunteer forms must be received by Friday, August 16th!
Being a Volunteer comes with perks!
Volunteers who work at least 6 hours worth of shifts will receive a refund for a weekend pass into the convention.
Keep in mind that volunteer positions fill up quickly so do not delay in applying. Additionally, applicants that are available for shifts on both Saturday and Sunday of the convention will be the first ones chosen as volunteers.
You will be required to check in at the beginning and end of each shift. Volunteers must perform the duties assigned and must heed the direction of Power-Con staff. Examples of duties include, but are not limited to:
- Registration table assistance (including but not limited to answering attendee questions about the convention and convention amenities, assisting staff with collecting and disbursement of convention incentive items, badges and wristbands, and assisting with the sale and pickup of convention passes.)
- Line and crowd control (including by not limited to monitoring and helping to disperse crowd congestion, organizing and directing attendees to form lines for signings, entry, etc, and capping lines to prevent additional attendees from joining a line queue.)
- Friday convention setup (including but not limited to assembling pipe and drape, assembling displays and cases, moving and arranging tables and chairs, moving and organizing boxes, displays and more with dispersed loads of up to 50lbs per person, and installing and setting up signs and convention décor.)
- Sunday convention break down (including but not limited to disassembling pipe and drape, disassembling and packing displays and cases, moving and stacking tables and chairs, moving, organizing and packing boxes, displays and more with dispersed loads of up to 50lbs per person, and removing and packing signs and convention décor.)
- Toy room monitoring (including but not limited to standing guard over art and collectibles in the toy room and instructing any party who is attempting to move, touch and/or open any item to please discontinue that action and then thanking them after they do as such.)
- Room entry monitoring (including but not limited to checking for wristband pass or badge pass access at a room door; permitting those with appropriate passes to enter while politely rejecting violators and directing them to Registration to purchase access.)
- Gophering (including but not limited to providing supplies, food and beverage and/or completing other errands at the request of the staff)
Duties will be assigned the day of the show based on availability of position and the volunteer. While each volunteer will be assigned a position in the start of your shift, you may be asked to fulfill another position if needs and programming change. Volunteers must complete the duties assigned to them during that shift and cannot break from their duties to attend a signing, panel or any other show attraction. Power-Con is depending on the diligence of the volunteer during those hours.
Dress comfortably. Shorts and slacks are permitted. No sandals or open-toed shoes are allowed. Please do not wear offensive jewelry or clothing and cover up any questionable tattoos while volunteering for POWER-CON (AKA: anything showing curse words, sexual imagery, etc)
The Power-Con volunteer badge must be worn during all shifts the volunteer works. While working as a volunteer, you are representing POWER-CON. It is essential that you are kind, courteous, knowledgeable and professional at all times to ensure attendees and exhibitors enjoy the show.
Refunds of prior pass purchases
All volunteers are required to purchase a 1-day, 2-day, Power Pass or Roast Gooble Dinner Package, based on your desired attendance.
- If you purchased a 1-day or 2-day pass, we will refund the pass at the price purchased originally.
- If you purchased a Power Pass, we will refund a portion of the Pass based on the price of 2-day passes at the time of the original Pass purchase.
- If you purchased a Roast Gooble Dinner Package, we will refund a portion of the Package based on the price of 2-day passes at the time of the original Package purchase.
Once the volunteer has completed their services to the satisfaction of Power-Con and its representatives, the appropriate refund will be issued within 30 days after the convention has ended.
Volunteers are NOT permitted to:
- Handle or be in charge of money unless instructed to do so by official staff
- Manage an Exhibitor’s booth
- Give interviews to the press on the behalf of the show
- Also work as an Exhibitor, Artist, or Panelist
- Must be 18 years of age by September 13th, 2013
- Must be able to complete at least a minimum of 6 hours worth of shifts over the course of the convention (Friday, September 13th through Sunday, September 15th)
Media Guest Handling
If you are assigned to assist with a creator / media guest at their table, booth or signing session, please respect and help enforce that guest’s policies. Some examples of those are as follows:
A creator / media guest may or may not charge for autographs. This is at their discretion and is beyond the control of POWER-CON. Please make note of a creator / media guest’s autograph policy and cost to help answer attendee inquiries and manage expectations.
A creator / media guest may or may not allow a photo to be taken of them solo or with fans. Those who do allow photography may charge for it. This is at their discretion and is beyond the control of POWER-CON. Please make note of a creator / media guest’s photography policy and cost to help answer attendee inquiries, manage expectations and enforce accepted use of cameras.
Please note that POWER-CON reserves the right to modify these rules and regulations at anytime without prior notice, and may deny any individual a Volunteer assignment for any reason. Submitting a Volunteer registration form does not guarantee a Volunteer assignment to POWER-CON.
Thank you for reading through the General Rules and Regulations. If you agree and accept all terms, rules, and regulations as set out by POWER-CON, please use the form below to contact Tim Wiess about applying as a volunteer.